Thursday, September 14, 2006

"Evoking the Soul"

Following is my favorite quote from Goethe. Although he lived many years ago, what he said about commitment, providence, and ultimately, action, still holds true for anyone today. I like to refer to it now and again. It keeps me motivated and inspires me. I hope it inspires you, too.

Evoking the Soul

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.

All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no person would have believed would have come their way. Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.

—Goethe

1 Comments:

Blogger jtg said...

I too like this quote. I've had it as a printout for a long time, and about 20 years ago I recorded myself reading it. I can send you that mp3 if you wish.

James Green

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home