Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day, Bay Bridge Demolition Work, and Don't Be a Pack Rat!

It's that time of the year again -- Labor Day is upon us -- a day of rest and a time for picnics, barbecues, public art events such as arts and wine festivals, and the like. And though it is traditionally given as a day of rest, it also makes for a good long weekend to move as was apparent driving around over the weekend. There were many moving trucks on Highway 101.


This was especially obvious amidst traffic headed southbound on Highway 101 -- everybody was headed south to take the San Mateo Bridge east -- traffic that would otherwise have been east bound on the Bay Bridge. Why? East bound traffic to the Bay Bridge is completely shut down over the entire Labor Day weekend through Tuesday for the Caltrans demolition project. About 1,000 feet of elevated freeway is being demolished to make way for the new. "The job will include removing 9,000 cubic yards of concrete and steel, almost 400,000 pounds of material," according to Adam Martin of the San Francisco Examiner. This shuts down the lower east bound deck of the Bay bridge from midnight Friday and will reopen at 5 a.m. on Tuesday.


Labor day weekend this year apparently was a time for "work" rather than rest for a lot of people in the Bay Area. Time to demolish an old section of the Bay Bridge to make room for the new. Time to move out of an old place to the new. Moving trucks all over the highway in a rush to get to their destinations, and the Highway Patrol on the prowl ticketing speeders on the highways. The energy in the air over the weekend was electric.

Ahhh...Labor Day weekend! Time to clear out an old storage locker filled with years and years of "stuff" to make way for the new and the future. Time to get things done before school starts on Tuesday, September 5th. The idea of getting things done before school starts is always a great motivating force! Time to get things done during the last long weekend before the holidays.


After 5 years of sitting in the back of my mind, I thought it time I stopped paying mula to hang on to my "stuff" and give to charity things I do not need.

Fortunately, I had help from Superman! Woohoo!

Keep what you want and can use, my mother said, and give to charity what you don't need or haven't used in years because you probably don't need it. Good advice. I like the idea of giving away something I no longer have a use for so that someone else may benefit. St. Vincent de Paul's Society, The Salvation Army, A Battered Women's Shelter, and the Goodwill -- all worthwhile charities to give things to for the benefit of others. It's a great motivating force, especially after seeing the stacks of boxes in my makeshift locker dining room. I woke up this morning and looked in on the stacks of boxes and it was SCAREY! The task is daunting to say the least.

The dining room is now a makeshift storage locker -- but not for long. At least I am now all in one place and can sort through years of history. Time to clear the old cob webs in the recesses of my mind. Years and years of history in things accumulated and held dear over time. Time to let go.


As I look at the task ahead of me, I find new meaning in the adage, "Don't be a pack rat!"

Ownership of material things can be a burden. I see huge moving trucks, some the size of semi's lugging around material possessions -- all we "own" in this world. It isn't all about material possessions for me. I'd like to travel lighter, own less, and give more to those in need. The thought is quite enchanting...and freeing to the spirit.



Before I start the hard work of going through years of history, I want to soak in the beauty and energy of nature and come back refreshed and ready to tackle such a daunting task. But also, I want to be refreshed and ready for school tomorrow and the start of a great new job as well which starts on September 11th. It's going to be a great birthday!

And so...onward to Lassen Volcanic National Park...


And Lake Almanor...



...before rolling up my sleeves and starting the new fall semester.

I'll be logging in to attend class via wireless Internet from Lassen Volcanic National Park until Thursday.

For students taking Media, Corporate Responsibility & The Law and Competitive Strategies, I look forward to meeting you. For students taking Web Design and Production with Joerg Muller, who resides in Spain, I will be your class TA and look forward to meeting you, as I am sure Joerg is as well.

Enjoy a day off -- it's Labor Day! Rest on this day if you can. School starts tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Anonymous JobSearchNinja said...

"Labor was the first price, the original purchase-money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labor, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased."

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home